Level 1 Foundation Headache Course: In-Person
Do You Want to Optimise Your Headache and Migraine Treatment Outcomes?
For Manual Therapists interested in the 'Role of C1-3 Cervical Afferents in Primary Headache'
(Physiotherapists, Chiropractors, Osteopaths and Manual Therapy Doctors)
Course Pre Requisites:
a) Graduate of a Tertiary Physiotherapy, Chiropractic, Osteopathy, Medical Degree
b) Holder of Professional Indemnity Insurance
c) Use Manual (palpation) skills in current clinical context
d) Fluent in English
e) Acknowledgment of the ‘Intellectual Property Notice’ Document or go to
f) Acknowledgment of the course ‘Conditions of Use’ Document or go to
So that we can support you, should you have any queries about any of the outlined points in these documents please forward a separate email advising this to info[@]watsonheadache.com.
What you will learn in summary:
Learn from Dean that reproduction only of typical head pain can be misleading. Reproduction and lessening of typical head pain as the technique is sustained is unique and fundamental to the Watson Headache® Approach. This is an uncomplicated and very effective approach to headache assessment, management and treatment.
Watson Headache® Institute’s Learning Pathway:
This is an opportunity to begin building your professional and clinical profile in the niche market of headache and migraine. Having attended the Level 1 you will be in a position to be offered an invitation to attend the Level 2 Consolidation Headache Course (2 days) and Level 3 Certification Course (equivalent to 4 days with assessment) in the future. Allow a minimum of 3 – 6 months between each course level.
There will be some restructuring of this program in 2019 and all previous course participants will be advised as this occurs.
Receive updated course content and material which will enable you to ...
- Conduct an effective sensitive (to 'Red Flags' and instability) subjective examination and establish clear reassessment features.
- Perform (and understand) a responsible and sensitive assessment of the craniovertebral ligaments thereby lessening the impact of your manual examination (and treatment) on potentially vulnerable structures.
- Identify confidently relevant segmental (CO-C3) dysfunction, that is, which segment/s is the source of the head pain and/or source of sensitisation underpinning primary headache conditions.
- Have an effective alternative (to HVTTs) for the management of upper cervical dysfunction
Some of the benefits gained by attending this course are:
- A Protocol at your fingertips to assess, treat and manage headache and the upper cervical spine
- An Approach using step by step diagnostic techniques to identify, through temporary reproduction and lessening of a patient's head pain, the spinal segment/s involved in headache and migraine
- Take the Guesswork out of who you should be treating and how to treat
- Seamless Application of the diagnostic techniques (with unparalleled accuracy) applied as treatment techniques (over 4 - 5 sessions)
- Know Which Segment/s Are Involved and be 70% - 80% of the way to successful clinical outcomes
- Safe and Effective Assessment of the upper cervical spine
- Confidence when approaching the neck and headache
- Increased Employment Opportunities as courses highly valued by employers
- Professional Differentiation of both you and your clinic/place of employment
- Patient List Growth through word-of-mouth recommendations
- Being Highly Sought After in your local marketplace
- A New Service to market in your clinic/place of employment to your database
Course Participant Feedback:
BEST CPD Dollar Ever Spent
"Can I say that your teaching has become my most potent weapon as a physio. Just today after his fourth session a client, a severe classic migraineur, said "my neck has never felt this good". Cheers for that. Best CPD dollar I ever spent! I would say in the nine years since your Auckland course I have only encountered three people I ruled out cervicogenic headache. Keep up your good works." Greg Bell, Bell Physiotherapy - Wanganui, New Zealand
Promotion post course:
You will receive a Certificate of Attendance at the conclusion of this course and this will enable you to promote yourself as having attended the Watson Headache® Level 1 Foundation Course. The Watson Headache® Institute directs you in this regard, using the ‘Marketing Permission Given to Course Attendees', whilst acknowledging the Watson Headache® Institute's intellectual property (including trademarks) and copyright rights. You do not have permission to create a title for yourself using the words Watson or Watson Headache®.
Watson Headache® International Community:
Once you attend one of the Watson Headache® Institute's courses you join the Watson Headache® International Community of ...
- approximately 2,800 course attendees and
- the many people with headache and/or migraine who have sought the help of health professionals (physiotherapists, chiropractors, osteopaths ad manual therapy doctors) who have attended one or more of the Watson Headache® Institute’s courses.
Thank you for your interest in headache and migraine:
We hope you can join us on this course or a course in the near future.
The Watson Headache® Institute’s courses fill quickly so register now to avoid disappointment.
*1. Payment Options for Watson Headache® Institute Courses in Australia and New Zealand (unless advised otherwise for example where courses are hosted by a 3rd party):
You can take advantage of the following Payment Options if you have previously expressed interest in the Level 1 Foundation Headache Course or register within the advised timelines. We review our fees annually and if there is to be an adjustment it will take place in the new financial year.
Option 1: Priority Registration Fee AUD$1,297 (Saving of AUD$300 off the Standard Fee AUD$1,597) Payment in Full at time of Registration, by six weeks before the course.
Option 2: Early Bird Registration Fee AUD$1,397 (Saving of AUD$200 off the Standard Fee AUD$1,597) Payment in Full at time of Registration between six weeks and by three weeks before the course start date.
Option 3: 2 Part Payment Plan AUD$1,497 (Saving AUD$100 off the Standard Fee AU$1,597) One payment of AUD$748.50 - at the time of registration and one payment of AUD$748.50 - 30 days later, Payment in Full two weeks before the course start date.
Option 4: Standard Registration AUD$1,597 Payment in Full at time of Registration between three weeks and one week before the course start date.
Where a course is hosted by a 3rd party, the course fees are set by the course host. The Watson Headache® Institute is not responsible for any variance compared with its fee structure.
Level 1 Foundation Course Program:
The Program may be adjusted at the discretion of the presenter to accommodate the course content and patient demonstrations.
9.00 Classification (Medical Model) of Headache
‘Sensitive New Age Migraine’ &
Contemporary Research (Lecture/theory)
Anatomy and Kinematics
5.00 Conclusion Day 1
9.00 Review Day 1
for some participants)
5.00 Conclusion Day 2
9.00 Review Day 2
for some participants)
4.00 Conclusion Level 1 Foundation Course